Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Praha

I'm still absolutely exhausted from the weekend, but I'm writing this before all of the details go out of my head. I should write in my journal too. Shit.

After chancing my arm with the Student Agency bus company via a number of persistent emails, I managed to get Saz and I on the bus to Prague on Friday afternoon. This plan was made the night before, despite the fact that everybody else who was going had booked it well in advance and was heading down there on Thursday night. That didn't bother me though, I was just glad to have a place.

We set off bright and early on Friday morning and, after a five hour bus journey that included several free hot chocolates and the nicest Czech stewardess in the history of the world, we arrived in beautiful Prague. It took us quite a while to decipher the Metro and Tram lines, seeing as everything was in Czech and nobody seemed to have any idea what we are talking about when we asked for help. As a result, we arrived at our hostel around 10PM and there was only time for a quick dinner before we collapsed into bed.

Did I mention we didn't understand the currency? We foolishly thought they used Euro in the Czech Repulic. They don't. Nothing like seeing 188KC as a bill for one's food only to discover that's actually less than a tenner...

Saturday began bright and early. We discovered the others were, thankfully, staying in the same hostel as us, which made things a hell of a lot easier. Unfortunately, they'd seen most of what the city had to offer the day before. Thus, we ended up wandering around in the heat, shopping, climbing hills and looking through monasteries for most of the day. Oh, and eating of course. We had four Italians with us who refused to eat any so-called Italian food, which kind of sucked, but the company was great and we spoke lots and lots of German.

That night, we went to Prague's most famous nightclub, which boasted five floors with a different genre of music being played on each. After much running about and sampling, a load of us settled on the Revival room, which not only had a Night Fever-esque light up dancefloor, but cheap cocktails, cheesy music and the best crowd in the entire place. We did a conga line to the Ghostbusters theme tune and threw ourselves around to Kiss. It was amazing. Saz almost pulled a Swiss lad, who, surprisingly enough, was bearded!

Seeing as it was my first sober night out in ages, I was surprised by how much fun I had, which sounds a bit fucked up now that I've written it down, but it's the truth. We ended up back at the hostel around 6AM, leaving the others just an hour to get their stuff together and catch the bus back to Munich. Saz and I slept for a bit. I sleepwalked to the bathroom while yelling that the police were coming for me. I didn't mean to wake her up. I think I was just recovering from being stopped at the border and having every single thing in my bag gone through purely because I laughed when I was asked if I had any drugs on me...ahem.

Anyway, we left our bags at the hostel and spent Sunday wandering the streets in the sunshine, buying random shit and getting lost. Although the city itself is really beautiful, the poverty outside of the touristy centre is quite shocking. I think I've just got used to Munich though. Speaking of which, I really, really missed this place when I was gone, which seems a bit weird.

We had dinner in an Irish pub and discussed Berlin with the barmaid, who said I looked like I'd enjoy it there (I'm not going to disagree with her). They kept giving us more vodka, which in the Czech Republic means we drank A LOT before we had to head back and get the bus. And we got lost. Again. At 11PM in Prague. Of course, everything worked out in the end. We made it to our bus on time and settled down for the five hour journey. I stuck on In Rainbows with the intention of sleeping for most of it, but of course I only dozed. Even so, the journey itself was quite painless and quick. We arrived back in Munich to rain, and were in our flats by 7AM. Unfortunately, we had to get up within a few hours to go and meet our German lecturer from back home. Luckily, that went quite well too! Apparently my German has improved!

Overall, Prague was amazing and the trip itself was worth all of the hassle I went to the night before. I also managed to get probably the best present ever for the emo. I cannot wait to give it to him. We missed the Eurovision, but I hear Norway won.

There are only two weekends left until the emo gets here and I am beginning to get so excited, even though I still have a hell of a lot to do before then. Dylan is coming to see me this weekend, too, which should be fun. I hope.

There's probably lots of shit I'm forgetting to put in here... Oh well, I'm still too tired to think straight. It was fucking worth it though. Wow.


Song of the day: The B52s - Love Shack.

No comments: