Thursday, May 28, 2009

8 Days to RIP

This week is going by so fucking SLOWLY... I want it to be over so that it'll be the beginning of next week and I can finally start getting properly excited for Rock im Park and, of course, the emo's visit to awesome Munich. I cannot WAIT. Seriously, I can barely sit still in uni. The fact that next Monday (and sorta Tuesday too, as is tradition) is a Feiertag sucks because it's a day with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Maybe I'll do laundry. Or clean. Or write. I have an article - in German, naturally - due next Tuesday that I have yet to begin. I keep meaning to start it, and then I get caught up in...well, nothing really, I just get distracted by anything and everything. It's ridiculous.

And, of course, I am even more of a loony little maggot child this week because it is so soon until I see my beloved Slipknot live in concert again and I can hardly sit still!! I sorted things with my mother earlier in the week, which is a huge weight off my shoulders. And then she posted my All Hope Is Gone tee to me and I was even happier!!

I haven't taken it off since. I am that excited.

I haven't seen Slipknot in four years, which seems ridiculous. I was 17 when I saw them first. The gig was in the RDS and I dragged my best bud at the time, Tar (still great friends, despite a major bump in the road last year), with me to see them. My mother drove us. She wasn't impressed when I stuck Iowa (my absolute favourite album by Slipknot) on in the car, but I leapt out before she could stop me. The gig itself was amazing. I was one of only a handful of chicks present, let alone the only one in a skirt. I was picked up and thrown into the sound engineering area about a hundred times, but I just kept running back for more. And, of course, the "Zero Bullshit" (during Spit It Out, when everybody has to sit on the ground and then, on Corey's cue, jump into the air in unison) was fucking amazing. I got the live album about a year later and cried listening to it. It was one of the most fantastic gigs I have ever been to, I can remember everything about it, from what I wore, to how my hair looked, to how sore my throat was after, how bruised I was, how happy I was, how torn my fishnets were, how tiny Joey was behind the drum kit and how tall Jim was next to Corey, how everybody went "Aw" when we were told Clown wouldn't be there (I still don't get why, he sucks!), how fast my heart was beating as I lay in bed that night and tried to sleep... I don't think I'll ever forget it as long as I live.

And now, four years later, I am well overdue for another live performance from my favourite band. A lot of people hate them, or don't understand them, or disregard them, or whatever else. I adore them. I think their stuff is amazing. When I was an angry little teenager and I would sit and cut my arms up and cry my eyes out and wonder what the fuck was wrong with me and why I couldn't understand my own thoughts, Slipknot made me happy. They gave me hope. That sounds cheesy, I know, but it's the truth. They weren't even a gateway band, I loved much harder stuff at the time. I still do. I love softer stuff too. But Slipknot are unique as a band and they will always have a place in my heart. And their live show is fucking INCREDIBLE, it really is.

It sucks I haven't got any taller since the last time I saw them...and I'll probably just as stupidly leg it into the pits to get the shit kicked out of me, but it'll be fun anyway! The Prodigy are playing before them, and Machine Head before them. It's going to be amazing. I must get drugs for The Prodigy, actually. Shit. So much to do and so little time! I'm so glad I found people to camp with too! Okay, so two of them are American and they're all lads (of course) but that only makes it more fun. I seriously cannot wait. Hurry up week and be over!!


Song of the day: Slipknot - Psychosocial (live live live live live LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!).

1 comment:

Pingu said...

I was at that gig too.. in the teeny little hall in the RDS. With Helmet and Shadows Fall. I remember it was the warmest I've ever been in my life, in my huge, beat up, hot-rock burnt Iowa shirt, with most of my metal friends there. It was hella good!

And the year before too! Has it really been six fucking years?!

Can't wait till Wednesday, missus. xx