Monday, July 13, 2009

This is what they call structured procrastination..

All right, it isn't really. Really I'm just sick of reading about fucking Bosnia-Herzegovina and their stupid media laws and the million wars they've had over territory... I need a fucking break, and this is it. I had one earlier too. It involved grocery shopping and was a lot more fun than it sounds. Grocery shopping in Germany is very different to how it is back home. In Ireland, we love a good aul' chat (okay not me, I tend to look quite angry, but other people) so shopping involves talking to the lady on the register, while having our bags packed for us, and searching for money in a wallet that is usually empty after one-too-many Butler's hot chocolates or vodka and Cokes. It's a lovely experience, one I sort of miss now that I haven't had it in so long.

I used to love running into Superquinn during my night shift in work and buying stupid shit to eat, like Koka noodles and Muller yogurts with chocolate balls on the side (that should have an umlaut on the u, but I still can't figure out how to anything but fadas - stupid computer). I loved the Fastlane, I loved watching little old ladies tottering about, I loved when I had to buy condoms and couldn't find them and had to send my workmate in to locate the aisle so that I could then go back in and very smoothly purchase a pack as if I did so all the time. It was glorious, as the Americans would say.

And then there's Germany, where if you don't throw your stuff into the bag at breakneck speed while simultaneously finding money and handing it to the disapproving bitch on the till (the only till that's open), you might as well shoot yourself right then and there. It's like a race, every single time. And I still have no idea why. I suck at it too, especially when I have to buy jars of shit. I am much too clumsy to be handling glass jars. Only last week I fell down a fucking hill and wrecked my shopping (and my drainpipes). Not my finest hour, but it was hilariously funny. Anyway, shopping today was all right cos I was buying random food items, such as an avocado and a jar of mayo, in order to make an at-home conditioner treatment for my ridiculously damaged hair. Lately, I've been freaking out that it's falling out. I'm told that it isn't, but I swear it is.

So, since my straw-like hair is beyond the help of traditional conditioners, I'm going to do something a bit more DIY. (Details of how horribly it goes wrong in a future post). I'm not really looking forward to putting eggs, mayo, avocado, bananas and honey in my hair...but desperate times and all that.

I am still on a Kevin Smith kick. To Jersey!!

I'm a bit disappointed because I didn't get quite as drunk as I intended last Saturday, despite the free drinks on offer, but the guy DJing was a friend so he played lots of stuff for me (including Limp Bizkit) so I was fairly happy. Me and Claire danced the night away while Saz ran about drunkenly as only Saz can do while still remaining upright (I fell a few hundred times). I only have two weekends left here and I'm getting really impatient. I want something amazing to happen, and I can feel that it will, but so far nothing... Soon enough, I'm going to be running around looking for reports from lecturers to prove that I did something besides partying and travelling over here, and then there won't be any time left for anything!

I'm supposed to be going to some German dude's house later on to work on this presentation. I wonder how impressed he's going to be when I tell him that I've been sitting around all day listening to Siouxsie instead of doing any work... Maybe I should be working right now...

Oh, how my mind wanders...


Song of the day: Siouxsie - About To Happen.

No comments: