Monday, August 10, 2009

Ramble ramble ramble

I spent two hours on the bus today. Well, actually it was split between three different buses. But still, either way, it was a long time to be on the bus, alone, with nothing but my own thoughts as company. I listened to a lot of Radiohead and tried to brainstorm ideas for my story, which is almost finished but needs a last big kick up the arse if it's to be ready by Christmas (I set myself a deadline, cos otherwise I wouldn't do enough work on it). I did that, and I stared out the window and I thought about the weekend, which was fairly uneventful but still not entirely shite. When I got to the city, I got a hot chocolate from Butler's. I really missed those when I was in Munich.

Anyway, I spent most of Saturday afternoon wandering around the city with my mother, sister and my mother's new boyfriend, a Geordie called Michael whom I was meeting for the first time. He was lovely, and had no problem slagging the shit out of us and taking it back in return. He made my mother laugh, even though she was shushing me every five seconds because apparently I was being too loud (something the emo loves about me, he told me later - and no that is not meant to sound dirty). It's nice to see her happy. I've spent most of my life watching her slave away for my father, who never appreciated anything she did for him. He used to stumble home drunk every single weekend, among other things, and never bothered even making half of an effort with any of us. So it's nice to her happy. Really nice.

Noodles came over that night. We watched movies and chatted loads, especially about some of our friends who have recently got much further into drugs than we ever expected them to, thus worrying us considerably. It'd be hypocritical of me to say anything about drugs being bad, because fuck knows I've done enough of em (and still do), but there's a certain line I wouldn't cross. And sadly, they have crossed it and now we're worried they won't come back. But I haven't seen any of them yet, so I'm reserving judgement until I do. But it doesn't look good.

On Sunday, I went to a big family thing with the emo (his family, not mine). I was very nervous, even more so since my mother warned me to dress girly and cover up my tatts beforehand. I did so, thinking her more knowledgeable about such things than me. I needn't have bothered. The party we went to was in far out Wicklow, in the house of the coolest little rock 'n' roll family I've ever met. The dad had long hair and a beard and named one of his kids Hendrick (after Hendrix, I am told) which was awesome. There was a ticket to the Tom Waits' gig last year on tacked up on the wall and more CDs than I could count. Everybody was so nice, especially the emo's cute little grandparents. His grandmother even referred to me as "lovely" and "gorgeous" which I don't usually get from older people. We chatted with little 18-year-old rock kids most of the time, all of whom were drooling over all of the gigs we'd been to and cool shit we'd done. They were adorable. It was so much fun. And the emo and I managed not only to sleep in the same bed despite being banned from doing so, but to do other stuff too (hee hee hee).

I dropped into work on my way home today, thinking it the best time seeing as I was dressed far more girly than I usually am on account of the party yesterday. It didn't go too badly, although I'd just missed my boss (or ex-boss, rather) by a couple of minutes, so I had to leave a note for her. I'm just praying that I get my job back. I loved it so much there and it was so perfect for me. Fingers crossed, I guess.

My mother thinks I need to change my hair. I kind of agree with her, but I want it longer first of all. I love it bleached blonde, but it is a lot of upkeep and I'm just waiting for the day when I wake up bald... Still, I want to grow it a bit more first... I'll have to think about it a lot. I can't really afford it now either.

That was probably really boring.

Time for some more Radiohead, I think.

Oh, and writing. Lots and lots of writing.


Song of the day: Radiohead - The Bends.

No comments: