Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More Munich madness (see what I did there?)

Munich still kicks ass. Although I keep dreaming of Dublin...and my mother's Sunday dinners...

Let's see...what can I unravel from my jumbled thoughts of the last few days...

Last weekend was great fun, despite all of the shit from home. On Thursday, I attended another Erasmus party which involved one too many vodka and oranges, a swift kick to the shins of the American, an hour long argument with the Swede about whether or not Wait and Bleed is on Iowa (it is not, I told him over and over - I really do sound like a crazed Slipknot superfan), throwing up in the U-Bahn station and being carried home by an unidentified Brummie hockey player (who I saw the other day on the way back from Pennymarkt - cringe). It was an eventful evening, from what I can remember. I woke up fully clothed, with even my Docs still laced up, and a broken glass at my feet. My head was fuzzy, but I was filled in later on about my rather classy misadventures. Nothing like puking in a Tube station in a brand new dress.

Why does nobody dress up over here?

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that these Erasmus parties (thrown by the ever-present, ever-cheery MESA) are nothing more than piss-ups, where everybody shuffles around in their jeans, half-dancing and half trying to hook up with each other (I pulled, or was pulled rather, by a Polish girl - score!) but nobody really gives a shit (except for the Italian girls, one of whom wears lipliner no matter what the occasion and absolutely HAS to be sent the dress code in advance otherwise she simply CANNOT MAKE IT to the party). Such is the beauty of these parties. Nobody notices when one can no longer stand.

The next one is on Friday. I can't wait.

On Saturday, I finally managed to drag the girls out to a lovely Goth club, in the Kultfabrik, called Refugium. They were all terrified before we even got inside, and even more so when we did (being stared out by a table of hardcore Goths didn't really put them at ease). But, a couple of blood-red shots and some Combichrist later and they were all getting into the swing of things. The place itself was fantastic. The decor was amazing; all grey walls, red roses, everything lit by candlelight. Most of the people in there were fairly hardcore, but they were welcoming and didn't pick on us for being different. Charley and Clare went home early, having had enough Darkwave and strobe lighting for the night, but Saz and I stayed on till 4 and enjoyed the ambience, as it were. She got a bit upset at one point, but I managed to cheer her up. And then the DJ played Closer, which is impossible to resist dancing to, and all was well again.

Of course, I was in my element. I don't frequent goth clubs as much as I used to, because I prefer to hear a mix of different genres over the course of a night out, but Refugium was very special. And the music was fantastic. It was nice to finally know the songs and feel a bit more at home.

I still have a dreadful metal craving though....hopefully it will be satisfied next weekend...

I started uni yesterday. I did a radio journalism class with Saz, and it actually wasn't as horrible as we'd anticipated it would be. The German was pretty easy to follow and everybody was really nice. The insitute we're in reminds me so much of uni back home, but it's also completely different. Their radio studio makes me yearn for ours, and the lecturer thought we both looked completely subversive (that's the problem with Criminal Damage dresses) and strange but I think we'll manage to fit in okay. ECTS points are not easily achieved over here, especially not in practical classes (which accounts for all of mine) but hopefully it won't be too hard.

I'm dreading tomorrow, though. It's so nerve-wracking.

I haven't been homesick lately. I miss rocking out with Noodles and having girly chats with Scooby, but I know that it'll be twice as awesome when I finally get back so I'm not too worried. I miss all of the lads from back home, though, because over here I don't really have anybody to headbang with (not yet, anyway). Rock Im Park is only six weeks away, which seems ridiculous. That'll be an excuse to headbang anyway. I can't believe I'm going to get to see Slipknot again! Eek!!

The emo is dealing a bit better with my absence. He's been keeping busy, and now that he has something to look forward to (ie coming over here to see me in June) he's been a lot more upbeat. I worry about him obsessing too much about what I'm doing and who I'm seeing. I don't want him to waste any time. I hope he's happy. I hope I can make him happy.

I can't believe I've been here for almost two months. Soon I'll be halfway through my time here. It feels completely unreal. I probably say this a lot, but this is one of the best experiences of my life. I want to get everything out of it that I possibly can, and I think I am so far. I know it's going to be over before I know it. According to Tar, who's been in Vienna since last September, it's been the quickest year of his life. I didn't believe him when he first said it, but now I do.

I want this to slow down, it's going by too fast...


Song of the day: Foo Fighters - Everlong.

No comments: