Monday, April 6, 2009

Hammered in Munich

All right, so I finally managed to get completely wasted in Munich last Friday night, at the first official Erasmus party in Mad Max (basically the setup of a school disco) and it did NOT disappoint. In fact, it was well worth waiting five weeks for because it was one of the best nights out I have ever had, and definitely the best in Munich so far!

I registered for college early on Friday, and I managed to make two friends in the queue, a guy from Sweden (who I delightedly told had hair almost the same colour as mine) and an American whom I bonded with over a shared hatred of sport. Both were coming to the party, I discovered, and were intending to get drunk. The Swede was shocked that I'd been in Munich for five weeks and hadn't managed to get drunk. Truth be told, so was I. I think it was the beer thing that threw me. Spirits are so expensive over here, and the beer is so strong and cheap that everybody is expected to drink it. I hate beer, but I'd knock it back if I had to. At this stage, I was getting quite desperate.

Charley, Saz and I did pre-drinks in my flat beforehand. We started drinking at half 7 and didn't leave until two hours later. Seeing as Saz and I were drinking flavoured vodka at a strength of 20%, one can imagine that we were slightly tipsy when the time came to leave.. The weather was mild, it hasn't snowed here in a week or so, and so we were strolling along happily when suddenly, out of nowhere, we were accosted by six youths on bicycles... They realised that we spoke English and decided to follow us all the way to the U-Bahn station while shouting such fine pleasantries as "Suck my dick, bitch" at us. We were in stitches by the time we got to the train. Saz was a bit scared, but we had a Bullet singalong to cheer her up.

We met our Polish friends on the train and then picked up my new American friend, who looked very confused when we found him, at the station in Studententstadt and made our way to the club. Only it wasn't really a club, more of a converted basement with a small dancefloor and a bar. I knew what had to be done. I challenged the American to a drinking contest, to which he happily agreed. The others fucked off to the dancefloor, while the two of us spent the next couple of hours going back and forth between the bar (where I later ran into the Swede, who was working on getting hammered but wasn't quite there yet) and the so-called smoking area.

It's here where I start to draw a few blanks...

In between this time and the time we left, which was about 4.30AM, I spoke to several people from my Sprachkurs, conversed with Saz as Gaeilge and ended up lying underneath a foosball table and drinking cocktails. The American later passed out and I was chatted up by some guy in German. I don't know how I managed to speak in German while drunk, but I did. Seeing as I was missing for most of the night, nobody knows for sure what exactly I did. I woke up the next morning covered in bruises and with a raging hangover. I know that I hooked up with someone, but who it was will remain known only to the two of us, seeing as it was a drunken thing and is still a bit fuzzy in my head. I don't know how I got so bruised. Or who I spoke to. There's also the small matter of why I was lying under a foosball table with the American, and why the fuck we were discussing Kurt Cobain, broken toilets and Radiohead... Or how I managed to drink so much without getting sick. Or why I ended up in Burger King with Saz and Charley at 5AM. So many unanswered questions, that will probably remain as such.

Saz pulled the official hottest guy on the course, but complained that he couldn't kiss. She and Charley samba danced the night away with all of the Brazilians and could barely stand the next day as a result. Gill pulled Marina, and they haven't spoken since. Charley's Brit bud, Clare, got one hell of an introduction to life in Munich and everybody got very, very drunk. It was, in a word, fucking EPIC. Now if only I wasn't having so many flashbacks, and could actually remember the majority of it...


Song of the day: Bif Naked - Let Down.

No comments: