Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Pathetically late first post (or second, really)

How sad is it that the only time I can find to write on here is during my lunch break from work!? Whatever, it's time to bring this blog back from almost-death......so! Now, for some firsts of 2011!!!

First movie - 127 Hours.
Being a fan of horror and having a pretty strong stomach for gore, I was dying to see this movie, in which James Franco infamously cuts off his own arm, as the climber Aron Ralston did in real life after being trapped in a cave for five days. I'm sad to report back that there wasn't quite enough arm-slicing for my liking (I would've liked a more lingering shot as he cut his tendons, for example) but regardless the film was a bloody masterpiece (no pun intended). Franco put in a cracking performance, to which he was rightly nominated for an Oscar, and Danny Boyle, as always, did a fantastic study of the human condition without it ever bordering on being too Hollywood or over-the-top. Put simply, it was fantastic, and a great way to start off what will hopefully be a fantastic year for movies.

First CD purchase (downloads don't count, I am old-fashioned when it comes to music) - Dark Days: The True Lives of The Fabulous Killjoys - My Chemical Romance.
I bought two CDs at once, but the other turned out to be a two-disc DVD extravaganza, not a CD, (Sicnesses by Slipknot, in case anybody is interested). I purchased the newest MCR album because I got my little sister tickets to go see them for her birthday, and wanted to know at least some of the new songs so that I wouldn't be totally bored. Happily enough, despite its' pretentious title and the accompanying videos detailing the adventures of non-superheroes dressed in bright colours and stupid masks, Danger Days is a nice little album. The songs are upbeat, catchy and interesting, the riffs are clever and the underlying message is less heavy-handed and melancholy than their previous offering, The Black Parade. I'm not exactly a fan of MCR, but I don't hate them either. I saw them a few years ago and they played a pretty decent set, despite being bottled the entire time. They're the kind of band that I'd stick on every now and again, but in whom I'm not particularly invested. However, Danger Days really caught me by surprise and I'm happy to report that I'm still listening to it, weeks later.

First gig - My Chemical Romance, The O2.
As I've already mentioned, I got my little sis a ticket to this gig for her birthday (although it was a month beforehand). I tucked it into an incredibly naff Twilight card, sat back, and watched her freak out. We headed off fairly late (about 7) but still got reasonably close to the stage. The new layout of the O2 is great, because there's usually no pit (or at least I haven't seen one yet), which means getting much closer to the bands than I ever did when I was 15, or even 18. Anyway, the support bands were shit, that goes without saying. The Blackout looked like an ad for Topman, and played the kind of monotonous, unoriginal, whiny songs that teenagers looove to sing along to because...well, what's more fun than that at 15? But yeah, they sucked! Then, about a half hour before MCR took the stage, a load of photos flashed up on the screens on either side of us of the "fabulous Killjoys", in which I had absolutely no interest. Then, the lights dimmed, and on the sound system came the "Look alive, sunshine" opening (voiced by Steve Righ? of one of my favourite bands, Mindless Self Indulgence) which, I have to admit, gave me goosebumps. Gerard Way and co stormed through the awesome Na Na Na Na Na Na (I defy you not to jump around to this) as an incredible opening number, and what followed was a set that made me feel like I was 15 again, in the best possible way. Not only were they tight (much tighter than I remembered them being), but they chose their set perfectly - it was the best possible mix of old, new and Black Parade. I was particularly impressed with the addition of House Of Wolves, one of my favourite MCR songs, that I didn't expect at all because it was never a single. By the encore of Cancer and Vampires Will Never Hurt You (a brave choice, from their very first album) we were bruised and elated. My sister was thrilled with the show, and so was I. Let's see if The Blackout can do something similar in ten years time...

First piercing - lobe stretch, stage one.
This doesn't really count as a piercing, but I started the process of stretching my lobes, which sort of counts... It hurt more than I thought and it's gonna take months before they're the size I want them, but I don't mind, because it's all in good fun! And it only cost a tenner!

First tattoo - Lenore on my upper right arm.
I decided what better way to start my sleeve (I'm only planning on doing one, but we'll see how that goes) than with a piece of artwork by the unbelievably amazing Roman Dirge, whose comics I've loved since I was about 13! Luckily, Dirge himself is very heavily tattooed, so he supplies what he refers to as "dope ass tattoo flash" with lots of the Lenore comics. I chose my favourite (one of many, I'm sure) made it bigger, and that was that. My tattoo artist, loon that he is, loved it, and scheduled me in to get it done on my 23rd birthday. Unfortunately, after three hours in the chair, he realised it was going to take more than one sitting to finish. And, what had begun as three hours quickly became eight. Luckily, he gave me a massive discount and I didn't particularly mind the pain or annoyance because he's amazing and really good fun to be around and it looks incredible now that it's finished! It's full colour, very unusual and totally beautiful. I'll be getting it topped up in the summer, and I'll probably get lots more in the meantime, but for now this is probably my favourite tattoo yet! (I'd post a pic, but I think that's kind of naff).

First book - My Booky Wook 2 - Russell Brand.
I love Russell Brand, and his first autobiography had me laughing and crying like a sap. The second installment has a different tone, and I felt a bit ill when he wrote about how much he loves Katy Perry (besides the boobs, what more is there to her?) but overall it was an interesting, funny read, and really it just made me love him anymore. I got very into reading biographies last year, and it's definitely carried on into this year. I'm midway through Mark Kermode's at the moment and I'm loving it!

I can't think of any more firsts (no interesting ones, anyway) so I guess I'll leave it at that for now. I will make more time to blog, in an effort to keep some sort of record of what my life was really like in my 20s. Otherwise, I'm going to have a hard time writing my autobiography...



Song of the day: Placebo - Battle For The Sun.

Currently reading: It's only a movie - Mark Kermode. I love this man, and his book is just like him - smart, funny, silly and riveting.
Currently listening to: Fixed At Zero - Versaemerge. I love love love this band. I may even be flying to Leeds to see them in May because I can't bear to wait any longer!
Currently wearing: Lots and lots of DropDead stuff, cos it's amazing. In work, I'm keeping it classy with a rock 'n' roll twist. In my private life, I'm going all out because there's less and less time in which to do so now!!
Currently feasting my eyes on: Pretty much anything to do with Berlin, because I'm heading there after Rock im Park this summer. Also whatever Pokemon game I have for the DS!

No comments: