Friday, June 26, 2009

It's beginning to sink in, Ted

It's almost 2PM over here, but I only just got up and, sadly enough, it wasn't because of a hangover this time. I slept really well, for the first time this week, last night and, as a result, jumped out of bed at 9AM to go for a run which I then subsequently pushed myself too hard on, collapsed with stomach cramps, crawled back to my flat and settled back in bed, writhing in pain, with some much-needed metal pumping through my headphones.

I'm getting really excited to see Metallica again, especially with Noodles because we ALWAYS have the best time no matter what we're doing. I'll only have been home a day when we go to see them, and I hate pretty much all of the support bands (The Sword and Mastodon are the exceptions) but it's going to be a fucking awesome day, especially if last year is anything to go by. It'll only be my second time seeing them, which seems ridiculous. I can't wait.

I stuck on some Radiohead in the middle, of course. I like mixing them with metal, even though it doesn't really make any sense to do so.

Anyway, I recovered after a bit and now here I am.

This week has been fairly boring. Uni, spending money I don't have (mainly on food and drink), watching random crap online (lots of Father Ted as I've been getting a bit homesick) and hanging out with Saz, complaining about why nothing exciting is happening in our lives at the moment. I've been trying to cheer her up somewhat, but it's difficult when I completely agree with what she has to say.

I'm beginning to miss home a lot. It's not that Munich doesn't feel like home, because it does, but I miss my friends, knowing where almost everything is, making my own money, hopping on a bus out to furthest Wicklow to watch Simpsons DVDs with Noodles and Scooby, getting stoned in bed with Star or the emo, going on dates.... I miss Dublin, probably the one great love of my life. It sounds stupid, given how many times I've been hurt there, not to mention all of the terrible things that have happened there, but it's still very close to my heart and probably always will be, even when I move away again.

The weather has been pretty shit this week, too, which hasn't helped. It rained solidly for three or four days and now it seems to have brightened up a bit, but it's kind of too little too late at this stage. I can't wait till I'm able to sunbathe again. Not that I particularly want to be tanned, but I love just lazing about listening to music and reading. My mother sent over the Dubliner summer annual, which made me both yearn for home and also get excited that I'm in a completely different city. Munich really is fantastic.

I've been on a major Kevin Smith kick the past couple of weeks. I've been reading his blog, watching all of his movies and, of course, reading his book My Boring Ass Life, which the emo brought over for me while he was here. It's all taken from blog posts, but he's written it in the most candid, honest, detailed way possible that to most people it'd be boring as hell, but to me it's incredibly fascinating. I know that there's a part later on in it when Mewes (Jason Mewes, Jay to his Silent Bob - I've loved him for many years) relapses and isn't allowed back into the house that Smith shares with his wife and kid. I was nearly in tears when my brother was telling me about it, so I'm dreading reading it. Anyway, the book is great and I'm really enjoying it. I'm trying to read lots of German, but I'm more interested in reading Kevin Smith's ramblings than anything else...

I wonder if anybody is bothered reading my ramblings..

Anyway, life is great and shit at the moment. There are less than five weeks left in my stay here, which seems ridiculous in the space of five months, but it's beginning to drag slightly, which is worrying... Still, I know the next few weeks are going to fly by so I should just shut up and enjoy them. I finally booked my flight home, which is good. The thought of packing up this room scares the shit out of me. I never expected to gather so much shit here, but I have. I've had such a fantastic time, that it just pisses me off when I have weeks like this where nothing seems to happen, or go right, and the overwhelming thought is of going home.

At least I'm heading out tomorrow night, to (hopefully) rock out properly for once. And there's Berlin next weekend to look forward to (still dunno how the hell I'm going to afford that). Maybe it isn't all bad. I mean...some things went right this week. Let's see...

1. My article on the evolution ofVogue and "Mode als Kunst" (fashion as art) is definitely going in the college magazine, which is a huge boost for my CV because it is, of course, in German. It was nice to be told it wasn't complete crap, too.

2. I booked my flight home and my last rent instalment is pretty much paid.

3. Saz and I talked and sobbed our way into getting our grant papers signed early so that we might have SOME money for the last few weeks.

4. Charley helped me do my roots so I no longer have shitty hair, which begs the question - why would somebody pay 50 quid to have his/her hair dyed orange when he/she can do it at home for a fraction of the price and do it right? (pet peeve of mine). Getting it done professionally again is going to be fantastic though, don't get me wrong.

5. Berlin is all booked and ready to go.

6. I wrote lots and lots and lots and actually liked what I wrote.


Hmm...not bad for a week that was a bit meh...

I guess I should shut up now, seeing as I have more writing to do. I really should drag my ass out to aerobics later on too, even though I really don't want to get up...


Song of the day: Radiohead - Just.

1 comment:

Pingu said...

I read your ramblings, darling